Friday, December 31, 2010

Festive Mustard




This recipe comes courtesy of “Chatelaine Recipes: Easy Holiday Cooking”. I decided to make it because it looked easy and I thought I could include it in my christmas gift baskets. As soon as I tasted it I realized that this is probably one of the best mustards I have ever tasted. I will probably make this mustard all the time now. This is a must try! It’s quite tangy and goes great with ham.
p.s. I actually didn’t give anyone a jar of this mustard.. I kept them all to myself!! :)
2 tbsp mustard seeds
1/4 cup cold water
3 tbsp white vinegar
1/4 tsp Worcestershire
3 tbsp dry mustard
1/3 granulated sugar
1/2 tsp salt
2 eggs yolks
In a small bowl, stir mustard seed with water, vinegar and Worcestershire. Let stand 30 minutes. Measure out dry mustard, sugar and salt into a small saucepan. Whisk egg yolks until lightly beaten. Pour into pan along with mustard seed mixture. Whisk constantly over medium heat until mixture thickens, approx 5 minutes. Spoon into sterilized jars and seal, keep refrigerated.
Makes only 3/4 cup of mustard, so if you are planning to give away as gifts, you will need to make the mustard in batches.

No comments:

Post a Comment