Wednesday, December 24, 2014

Steak & Cheese Mini Rolls



It's Christmas Eve 2014 and it's time to open the doors and let the neighbours in for a small party!
I've thrown together some inexpensive and easy appetizers to serve tonight. I have shrimp and shrimp cocktail sauce, store bought baked appetizers, store bought cookies, chocolates, nuts etc. The usual. My creation today is steak and cheese mini rolls. Easy to make and pretty delicious too.

2 Sirloin Steaks - least amount of fat as possible
Montreal Steak Spice
1 or 2 tablespoons of Butter and some olive oil
Cheese - I wanted to use Blue Cheese, however finding blue cheese on Christmas Eve day in a very small town was impossible. So I went with creamy herb Havarti.
Whole grain Mustard

Allow the steaks to come to room temp. Coat each steak with the Montreal Steak Spice and rub it in good. Let sit a few minutes. Heat your frying pan or iron skillet to hot as shit (that's a real chef term I think). Melt the butter and oil together. Put the steak into the pan and fry for 1 minute each side. This is going to sear all that delicious spice onto the steak. I like my steak blue rare - so that is why I only seared for 1 minute each side. Pull the steak from the pan and let it rest and cool for a little while.
Once the steak is cool, cut it as thinly as possible in strips - as long as you can. (I have crappy knives. So my slices are all different sizes and lengths. But I don't really care). Remove the fat while your cutting. Searing the steak as quickly as this doesn't render the fat at all and the fat ends up being gross. Just saying.
Once you have ok strips of rare delicious steak, place a small cube of the cheese on one end of a strip, roll up the steak and stick a toothpick in it. Done.
I used whole grain mustard as a dipping sauce. It depends completely on your preference. Horseradish would taste really good too (I didn't have any). If you use blue cheese - I wouldn't put any dipping sauce with it.
Merry Christmas!


No comments:

Post a Comment