Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Apple Cinnamon Chicken



I don’t know if you noticed yet, but I love when food tastes good and is easy to make. As much as I love following recipes, cooking from my instincts is even better. Sometimes (ok all the time) I surprise myself with my ability to know what flavours go with what flavours. I’m not perfect and my failures generally do not get posted, but this recipe turned out fantastic. I’m super proud of this recipe. I literally made it up as I went along and the results were amazing. It’s fall in Canada and the harvest season is pretty much over for most of our favourites. Apples are still in season though and this dish features apples inside a chicken. The apple imparts a delicate taste into the neutral chicken and this whole dish tastes like fall. It’s also really easy and next to impossible to screw up. Give it a try and play around with your herbs. 
Apple Cinnamon Chicken
1 whole chicken
1- 2 apples
1/4 unsalted butter, softened
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon sugar
Pinch Nutmeg
  1. Preheat oven to 400deg F. Rinse your chicken under cold water, place in roasting pan.
  2. Mix spices and butter together. Gently lift the skin around the chicken so you can pack the butter under the skin and into the cavity.
  3. Cut the apples into large wedges (remove cores) and stuff inside the chicken cavity. Tie up the legs and wings.
  4. Bake in your pre-heated oven for approx. 40 to 60 minutes depending on the size of your chicken. Check with a meat thermometer.
  5. Allow to rest for at least 10 minutes. Serve with the apples and a nice potato gratin. 
Note: I used a small chicken for this as there are only 2 of us. We each ate a half a chicken. 


No comments:

Post a Comment