Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Japanese Daikon Salad with Watercress, Creme Fraiche and Grilled Lemon Dressing



This salad uses an Asian Daikon, which is an asian radish. They are available at some Farmer’s Market (Hamilton Farmer’s Market has them) and some grocery stores. My step-mother uses them all the time at family dinners, so when I came across this recipe I thought I’d know what it would taste like. I must have gotten a good one because my Daikon had a very strong radish taste to it. It was a fun salad to put together and you should give it a go.
Peel your daikon and thinly slice it (long thin slices, like linguine) I used the potato peeler to get the long thin strips.
Mix the strips with your watercress and dress with the following dressing:
Creme Fraiche & Grilled Lemon Dressing:
1 large lemon halved
3 tablespoons olive oil
3 tablespoons creme fraiche or mayo
2 heaping teaspoons Dijon mustard
sea salt, pepper, soy sauce
Broil the lemon halves for 5 minutes until soft and charred. Squeeze the juice into a bowl. Add the rest of the ingredients, mix together and season to taste. 

No comments:

Post a Comment