Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Scalloped Potatoes with Porcini and Bacon



I friggin love Porcini mushrooms. Porcini to me, is like Truffles to others. I rarely use them because I revere them. They are unique and earthy and simply luxurious. I adore them. I could marry them and become Mrs. Porcini, but I prefer the indulgence of a rare love affair that makes me come back for more. If I ate them all the time, the love I feel them for them may dwindle. Oh.. but do I pine for them after I indulge! Sigh. 
Eat, drink and be merry!
This recipe comes from the LCBO’s Food & Drink Magazine Autumn Edition.
Scalloped Potatoes with Porcini and Bacon
1 pkg (14g) dried porcini mushrooms
6 strips bacon, thinly sliced
1 small onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 lbs potatoes (or in english about 5 or 6 med-large potatoes)
2 cups milk, 2% or homogenized (I used skim milk - gotta stay healthy!)
1 cup whipping cream
Pinch of nutmeg
Salt & Pepper
1 cup coarsely grated Gruyere cheese
  1. Preheat over to 350deg F.
  2. Butter a casserole that measures about 9inches square (I used an 8x11 casserole - it worked fine). Place mushrooms in a small bowl. Cover mushrooms with about 1/2 cup boiling water. Let stand whole preparing ingredients.
  3. In a large frying pan, cook bacon over medium heat until it starts to crisp, about 5 minutes. Add onion and continue to cook until bacon is crisp and onion is tender, about 5 more minutes. Add garlic and cook about 30 seconds, just until fragrant. Strain mushrooms over a bowl but don’t discard liquid. Squeeze out any liquid from mushrooms into bowl. Chop mushrooms and stir into bacon mixture.
  4. Peel potatoes and slice as thinly as possible, no thicker than 1/4 inch. Place milk, cream and nutmeg in a large wide pan. Gradually add mushroom liquid, so that any grit at bottom of bowl doesn’t get added. Over medium heat, bring to a simmer. Add potatoes to simmering milk mixture. Stir. Cook just until almost fork tender, about 10 minutes.
  5. Using a slotted spoon, remove and spread about half the potatoes into prepared casserole. Top with half the bacon mixture. Lightly season with S&P. Spoon remaining potatoes over the top. Repeat with bacon mixture and season. Carefully pour milk mixture over top, to evenly distribute. Bake, covered about 30 minutes. Uncover, sprinkle with cheese and continue to bake until golden and bubbling, about 20 to 30 minutes. Let stand 15 minutes before serving.
Serves 8

No comments:

Post a Comment