Sunday, September 12, 2010

Sunday Night Dinner



Well, it’s Sunday night and time to cook something from the Jamie Oliver cookbook. Tonights dinner is starting with “A Tuscan Raw Artichoke, Arugula and Parmesan Salad” along with “Parsnip and Pancetta Tagliatelle with Parmesan and Butter”.
(I won’t be posting the recipes from this cookbook because I’m sure there is a copyright thingy on doing that.) 
D and I have eaten the Tuscan salad before and I’m re-making it tonight because the few remaining salads we have left to cook would not go well with the pasta dish. This salad tastes very fresh, light and somewhat bitter. D likes this salad more than I do. Raw artichoke is an acquired taste, plus the amount of work to prepare the stupid things i.e. getting pricked by the leaves the whole time, is a pain in the ass. Maybe if D had to spend 15 minutes preparing each artichoke, he wouldn’t enjoy the salad as much either.
When I prepared the salad this time, I used more lemon and it took out some of the bitterness. Which sounds strange, but it’s true. Again, the salad was fresh and light and a perfect compliment to the pasta dish.




The pasta dish was fabulous. The parsnips disappeared into into the pasta and were a surprisingly delicious combination. Bacon, rosemary, butter and Pecorino Romano/Parmesan cheese (The recipe called for Parmesan only but I added the Pecorino Romano because I had a large chunk of it and wanted to use it up) made up the sauce. It was not a healthy dinner, but it was a luxurious, creamy, silky treat. This recipe would have also tasted great with thyme instead of rosemary. Either way it was a terrific dinner. 

We opened up a bottle of 2007 Black Cab from EastDell Estates Winery (Baco Nior & Cabernet Blend)  to go with dinner and we enjoyed it immensely. I love this wine and find it goes great with everything. This is definitely one of my favourite wines. Now it’s time to relax and get ready for work tomorrow. 
Ciao.




No comments:

Post a Comment