Friday, September 10, 2010

A Passion for Food


Well, here goes. This is my first ever blog posting about food stuff. How do I begin? Where do I start? How do you write a first-ever-blog post without looking back later and being embarrassed by it?

I think I should start off by telling you that last Christmas I decided to try and cook my way through one cookbook. The idea was inspired of course by the Julie/Julia Project (book, movie, and blog). But also, I have many cookbooks that I flip through periodically to get inspired, but rarely cook recipes from.
So I stole the Julie/Julia idea for my own and went through every cookbook I own to try and pick just one cookbook to cook from.
I picked "Happy Days with the Naked Chef" by Jamie Oliver. I choose this book because the food in it was accessible, comforting, but would also push my tastes into new directions.
There are 116 recipes in this book and so far (January 2010 to September 2010), I've cooked 23. I should probably explain why this number is so low. First of all, I work full time during the week with a major amount of commuting, so I do not cook on week nights. I generally pick at leftovers or fruits and veggies at night. Second reason why the number is so low is due fully to our Canadian Summers. When the weather is nice, I refuse to stay in the house. I don't cook in the house, I cook outside on my BBQ. And of course, there are always friends and family who have their own BBQ's which we are invited to. The summer goes by fast and I like to enjoy it while it's here.

But now it's fall again and I have found myself back in the kitchen doing what I love: cooking and baking.
In the last few weeks I've made grape jelly, apple muffins, caramel pecan squares, and some very delicious dinners from the Jamie Oliver cookbook.

Wow. Look at that. First-ever-blog-posting complete! That wasn't so bad. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment